If you are involved in a Rhode Island Auto Accident, there are several important steps you can take to insure you get the best Personal Injury settlement . You should contact a Rhode Island Car Accident Attorney immediately after a Rhode Island Car Crash.
1. Notify the Police of the auto accident. Pursuant to Rhode Island Law , the police must be informed of almost all accidents.
2. If you were injured, obtain medical treatment as soon as possible. If you did not leave the scene of the car accident by an ambulance than either go see your primary care doctor or visit an urgent care center. Your primary care Physician may refer you to a specialist. Some specialists will not see patients without a referral from a primary care physician.
3. Do not cancel your scheduled medical appointments! Make sure your medical providers are informed of all areas where you are in pain. Keep your doctor informed of all symptoms. Do not exaggerate but also don’t minimize the pain and suffering. An Insurance Adjuster will be reviewing your medical records seeking to find inconsistencies, or discredit your allegations. The Insurance Adjuster will attempt to minimize your pain and suffering.
4. As far as the insurance company is concerned, if you are not treating you are not suffering. Do not expect to receive damages for periods of time when you are not treating but you claim that you are still in pain.
5. Keep your RI Personal Injury Attorneys informed of all chiropractors, massage therapists, hospitals,physical therapist and urgent care centers that you have treated with. Keep track of dates of treatment and what occurred during the treatment. Keep records of all medication. Save receipts for all medication that you take as a result of the Car Accident.
6. Retain a Rhode Island Personal Injury Lawyer before you give a statement to the insurance company. The Insurance Company is not the enemy but they certainly are not your friend. They are trying to give you the least amount of money as possible or even potentially deny you’re the claim.
7. Do not sign medical releases for the insurance company. The RI Personal Injury Lawyer will collect your medical records for you and submit them to the insurance company. You do not want to give the Insurance Company unfettered and uncontrolled access to your medical records!.
8. Take pictures immediately after the accident of your vehicle, the other vehicles and the scene of the car / auto crash. Take pictures of any visible injury, scarring or bruising. With a bruise you want to get a picture when it looks the worst. Do not have your automobile repaired until you have taken pictures of the damages.
9. Do not sign medical releases for the insurance company. The Rhode Island Personal Injury Lawyer will collect your medical records for you and submit them to the insurance company. You do not want to give the Insurance Company uncontrolled access to your medical records!.
10. If you get cited for a motor vehicle violation, hire a RI lawyer to represent you. If you are found guilty or responsible for the Motor Vehicle accident then your case may be severely impaired. The implications of not contesting a citation or pleading guilty could be detrimental to your Personal Injury Claim.
11. Do not let the insurance adjuster influence you to settle the car accident prior to retaining a Rhode Island Personal injury Lawyer. The Insurance Adjuster wants you to take as little money as possible and they want to keep you away from a Rhode Island Automobile Accident Lawyer who can explain your legal rights to you.
Legal Notice per Rules of Professional Responsibility: The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers and attorneys in the general practice of law, but does not license or certify any lawyer / attorney as an expert or specialist in any field of practice. While this firm maintains joint responsibility, most cases of this type are referred to other attorneys for principle responsibility.